Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes...

We made the plunge to start homeschooling in January 2000. It was a fairly sudden decision as it was over Christmas break that I knew I could not send my oldest son back to school. The withdrawn and unhappy child from the fall semester disappeared over Christmas break and the buoyant irrepressible child returned. I finally accepted it was pointless, even heartless, to force him to adapt to the classroom. The classroom had to adapt to him, and homeschooling was the best choice.

That child who prompted us to start homeschooling graduated back in May 2009. He is still an effervescent being, not following the standard and expected path of going to a traditional university, but is instead forging ahead with his own plans for himself, and doing very well.

And now my younger son is moving on. At the tender age of 15 he will be attending community college full time. He passed me by in math and science, the two subjects that most interest him, so needs the higher level courses, and he has had enough of mom as teacher/mentor/nag-in-chief. He is ready to move on, and proved himself quite capable in his intermediate algebra course at the college last fall.

So after 11 years, my primary identity as a homeschool mom is no more. I'm back to just being mom!

That is a huge change. Another big change coming with 2011 is that my husband will be working at home full time, something he hasn't done in 20 years. And my oldest boy will be back under our roof after living in Orlando for a year. It is going to be a very full house!

I'm no longer going to be writing blog posts about book lists and course or lesson plans. I'm trying to wean myself from the 11 year old habit of hanging out on the WTM boards every day. And yet, I'm still interested in education, still honing my skills as a teacher and mentor as I move into my second year of teaching private violin lessons. And I'm still an avid reader, still sharing books with my youngest. There should still be blog material worth reading!

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You're a dynamo if there ever was one!!! I am new to WTM (referred by my HS'ing best friend who adores the book/site) and am just beginning to explore the possibilities of HS our 6 y.o. DS. Your words on the board and your blog are so inspiring to me. I just wanted to let you know that you have calmed some rather ratty nerves over here (at least for now) and I am quite grateful. I am also in So. Cal (Long Beach area) and am looking for any information re: HS in this area. If you had any to share, I'd appreciate it. My email is: shawnwild@mac.com Thanks again for taking the time to blog - I just love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete