Friday, January 1, 2010

Mind Voyages

My virtual WTM homeschooling buddy and reading partner in crime, Robin from the blog My Two Blessings, has come up with a reading challenge for 2010 called Mind Voyages. It is a reading challenge designed to get the reader to explore a broad range of sci-fi and fantasy. There were several titles on the lists of Hugo and Nebula award winners that caught my eye, and I'm reading Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the moment, so I figured, why not?!

Robin asks "what do you think about" when you hear the words science fiction and fantasy. I think about some of my favorite tv shows and movies -- Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who. (I'm writing this in fact while watching the Doctor Who New Year's marathon on BBC America.) But when I think of the literary genre I see a real crap shoot! There are books I love and books that have astonished me, there are brilliant and imaginative authors. But there are so many books that are too bloated, too predictable and formulaic. While reading Dune last summer I started wondering what it is that makes one author able to immerse a reader so effortlessly into a believable alternate universe. Taking on this challenge offers the opportunity to look into that question more deeply, and while I may not come up with any profound answers, I'll write some reviews and ponder on the good and the bad of the books.

I'm also going to keep reading everything else under the sun, and continue blogging about homeschooling the high school years, but I like having something to focus on.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Jennifer. So glad you are joining in on Mind Voyages. I watched all the same tv shows except never quite got into Doctor Who. Maybe I'll give it a try this year.

    ReplyDelete