Thursday, February 4, 2010

Releasing my fledgling


Last week my firstborn ds turned 18 and moved to the other side of the continent to start living his dream. I flew out with him to help him get settled in his new apartment and to share in the excitement of the first days, then said good bye and came home without him. I didn't cry when we hugged good bye -- he is where he wants to be in an excellent situation and I'm so happy and excited for him.

It struck me during the last week that setting your child free is much like giving birth all over again. The nesting instinct kicks in as you help them buy things they'll need, and help them choose what to take. The need to feed them and nurture them feels as primal as it did when they were newborns. Emotions are running high. And there is both the excitement of the new and the relief of not having to deal with the things that have become so annoying -- in pregnancy it was getting rid of that big belly, with a teen it is getting that huge teen personality out of the house. Just as when you gave birth, life will never again be the same.

Now I have to get used to a quieter house, but I'm looking forward to hearing all the news from my ds. I guess I'll eventually have to learn to wean myself from updates several times a day, but for now I'm thrilled to have Facebook and Skype and text messaging.

3 comments:

  1. My boys are younger, but I'm both excited and dreading the day they move on. Have you homeschooled the whole way? It's inspiring to meet families that have done that and it works. What a beautiful picture of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new season, full of surprises! Beautiful picture of you 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing to have those instant methods of communication. When I left home, my parents moved to Africa, and we only had snail mail--that was hard. Wishing you and your sons all the best.

    ReplyDelete